Thursday 1 February 2007

The Arch continued

I proceeded with the painting but did some others as well in the meantime. On Wednesdays it gets very noisy in the staircase, where my setup is, because it is in the vicinity of the museum restaurant where they have a weekly dinner. The other thing is taking photographs of the painting. I don´t like doing it!

But here it is!



Unfortunately I was at the Students Exhibition of the Viennese Art Academy the night before and in order to deal with the shown artwork I decided to get drunk. It seemed to me the only way to cope with contemporary art. ;-)

So I wasn´t as concentrated as I wanted to be and painted only the achitecture on the right side. Some people said I should leave the painting like it was but I think that I have to make the surrounding areas of the arch cooler and muted in order to make the focal point clearer. You can see it on the left side. The yellow tone of the underpainting is competing with the middle section.

This is the only photo I have taken in between because the light situation is not so good for taking photos.

9 comments:

René PleinAir said...

..., but I think that I have to make the surrounding areas of the arch cooler and muted in order to make the focal point clearer. You can see it on the left side. The yellow tone of the underpainting is competing with the middle section.

I agree, when you look at the photo you took is show a bit what you mean, .... cool down and don't drink so much ;-)

Stefan Nuetzel said...

Hi René, haven´t heard from each other for some time. Now I have finished the painting but not yet photographed. I am curious what you are going to say. And about the drinking, I will try to be a good boy! :-P

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Stefan, that you should continue and make the left side cooler so the focus will "pop". Great work though.

ANDREW JUDD said...

You picked a tough subject but that reminds me when we painted together in the crypts! You can paint anywhere and anything. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.. Andrew

(a drink or two doesn't hurt either)

Stefan Nuetzel said...

Thanks Sally, I have already done it but not yet taken a picture of it.

Andrew- you know from whom I have learned not to be too dependent on proper conditions. Thank you for that!

Jennifer McChristian said...

You are definitely going in the right direction. I look forward to seeing the painting in it's finished stage, although it looks solid and appealing as is.

Stefan Nuetzel said...

Hi Jennifer, I hope that I went in the right direction but this painting kept me busy und I hope that I stayed loose enough.

Anonymous said...

The finished painting is well done, and I enjoyed seeing your process

Stefan Nuetzel said...

Thank you, Sally and it is nice that you dropped by again.